Thursday, August 16, 2012

Flying with little ones

I've flown no less than seven times over the past five weeks. Too many and yes, I'm very happy to be home. But I'm also grateful that travels went smoothly. I was distressed on only one flight, and that was when the plane was descending. A baby started crying and I knew why. The little one's ears were hurting.

So, dear parents, think ahead before you fly. It's good to have something for baby to suck, a bottle rather than a soother, I think, because the swallowing helps. In the 'old' days, really many years ago, the flight attendants would hand out sweets and also cotton wool to put in the ears. Now, I'm not sure the latter really helps. It can't harm, though, so have a little on hand.

This is the one situation in my life when I chew gum, or at least, have it in my purse in case my ears start hurting. So I guess for older children that would be an option.

In any case, when it comes to kids, thinking ahead is always a good thing to do!