Friday, December 4, 2015

Advent tide

Here we are, approaching the second Sunday in Advent, a week when we specially think of our debt to the plant world and acknowledge our gratitude. Last Sunday the grandsons, now nine and seven years old, came over with their parents for a simple celebration at our house.

They came about an hour before we sat down to share a meal together. When they arrived, the house was in darkness (the sun sets soon after 4.20 p.m. these days). I met them in the entrance hall, and gave each of them a candlestick to carry.


We lit their candles and they carried them into our living/dining room and placed them carefully on the mantelpiece. Then we lit other candles around the room and the children sat down to hear a Christmas story read. Over the years I've collected quite a few and they work well for setting a mood... especially in candlelight.

So there mom and dad sat, each with a boy on the lap, listening by candlelight. This was such a lovely sight that I thought I should take a photo. I even went so far as to fetch my digital camera. But then I thought... 'No, a flash, the taking of a photo, will totally intrude and interfere with this special moment. So I refrained.

After the story we sang a song together 'People look East'. Cheryl had never heard that before. Luckily I'd thought to print out four copies of the words so we could all join in. The lyrics are easily found on the web.

Over the years I've also collected art postcards of the Annunciation. I selected a couple of these to have as images around the room. In these days when so much of what meets our eyes is hideous, not to mention evil, it's helpful to look at the beautiful and true.

So here is the Angel Gabriel to salute you on this Advent Friday. I send you a virtual lily and wish you a quiet, lovely moment or two.