Monday, July 25, 2011

The Magic of Play

A wonderful young woman has been caring for the grandsons, granting me time to concentrate on my other writing. But this also means I haven't had the inspiration for blogs happening right before my eyes.

Anyhow, last night we had the whole caboodle -- family plus two -- to Sunday dinner and a good time was had by all. As our dining table can't accommodate more than six people, the boys had to eat separately. Curly-Locks knew exactly what he wanted. He bustled about, carried a small table down from the deck to the lawn  and arranged it table and two chairs under the maple tree. I brought out mats and cutlery and his brother took their places. Cheryl sat outside with them for a couple of minutes, to see that they started eating properly, but she soon left them to it. They were fine. She told me later that was one of her favourite things to do when she was a child... eat outside, just the children.

Soon after they'd done eating, they came inside and began playing so wonderfully. I can't tell you how thrilled I was to experience this. It hasn't been easy for the Blue-eyed Boy to come to terms with a sibling taking up 'his' space, but things are different now. Helen actually told me that, with her boys, they only really started playing together when the younger could talk well. And I think that's the secret. Partly. I believe it also helps that they have minimum access to television and other media.

I have to say, I believe we are truly fortunate when our children can play. More and more recognition is being given to this. Last weekend, I ran a workshop on creative writing and I realized again how much a playful attitude helps. As adults it helps keep our thinking mobile and gives easier access to our creative imaginations... something so valuable for the future of our world if used in the right way.