Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Names

I devoted some space in one of the Magical Motherhood Letters to Cheryl about naming a child. Now I can't resist commenting on the choice Victoria and David Beckham made for their much-longed-for daughter. As one article pointed out 'Harper Seven' reflects the trend away from girly-names.

Well, it's individual, certainly. Maybe there's even something musical there to tie in with my previous two posts? Can't be bad to be a harper... in fact, rather lovely. But Seven? I simply can't get my head around that. It's as bad as calling your child by two letters of the alphabet, like T.J., something that's also happened.

Adam and Eve were given the great privilege of naming the animals and the plants. Also in the Bible, St. John's gospel begins with: 'In the beginning was the Word'. These days words have fallen far from their heavenly origin, but we can still use them and name our children with good intent, consciousness, and an artistic feeling for what the child might need.

Sounds are what it's all about, surely. For me, it was an amazing and revelatory experience to see my children's names done in eurythmy. And helpful for me to do my own, I should add.

These are my reactions. Overall I'd say it's important not only to think of the child and what would be a helpful name for him or her to carry through life, but also to consider how others will react.