Friday, January 13, 2012

Mind images

I seldom watch TV. This is mainly because, like alcoholic drinks, they interfere with my meditative life. And that's much more important to me than any television program. But also, I have difficulty in getting rid of the images. I noticed this also on my recent flights where I watched a couple of films. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that the back-of-the-seat video screens are so close to you, so 'in your face'. And, incidentally, I noticed many people who were sleeping but who hadn't turned off their screens. Mostly I think it's because it's not always so obvious how to do this. But I felt sorry for one young man who, to get away from that unhealthy light, had pulled his blanket over his head.

So what has this to do with small children? As you probably know, the best thing is not to expose them to any kind of screens whatsoever. Unfortunately, this is becoming more and more difficult as more and more technology is invented and we make more use of it. Which is not wrong, of course.

Just try to be as aware as possible and to make the exposure as harmless as possible.

I'm reminded of the anecdote told years ago by Francis Edmunds, founder of Emerson College in England. He loved the way one young boy said, "I prefer radio to TV because the pictures are so much better!"