Saturday, November 3, 2012

Why root veggies are important

Tonight I'm planning to make a bortsch soup with the last of the beetroots from our garden. My recipe includes other root veggies such as parsnip, carrots and turnip. So this set me thinking, especially as I've been going over the chapter on the importance of eating organic in my book 'Magical Motherhood'.

It's a long letter to Cheryl. These days there's even more to say on the subject, but I realized there's one aspect I neglected to mention, which has to do with Anthroposophical theory. This is, the relationship of edible plants to the human being, from the viewpoint of our three-fold aspect.

I can still remember the first time I heard a doctor lecture on this. And see the drawing he made to demonstrate. Thusly:



And do you know what happened next? It was this:



Yes, an upside-down version of the previous drawing. You can take it as corresponding to a human being. Soooooo... what does this mean? Actually, that root vegetables are most helpful for the brain, leafy vegetables for the breathing and rhythmic system, and grains and fruits, for the metabolic/limb system.

It's important for young children to eat good root veggies. But you need them, if at all possible, to be grown on organically-composted soil. Root veggies, not being open to influence from air and light, take up more of the salts, minerals etc. from the soil than any other veg. And this means the bad along with the good.

For yourself, you can increase your awareness of what veggies you need. Recently, with the waning of summer, we've been eating less salads. I found myself longing for a big, green bowlful and then realized I wasn't breathing properly. So I took some deep breaths and went in search of lettuce.