Monday, December 17, 2012

The Winter Solstice

For those of us in the northern hemisphere, the darkest time of the year draws near. Let's make the most of this experience! Why? Because these are the ways to live with the cycle of the year that help us to connect to the Spirit of the World, as I explained in a previous post.

Now, I'm very grateful for the blessings of electricity, the convenience of being able to flick a switch and have light whenever I need or want. But let's live a little in the darkness too. On these gloomy mornings I go downstairs to prepare breakfast and the only light I use is one under-counter light. Then when we sit down to eat, the candle is lit. Such a very different kind of glow! A child will respond with  reverence and take in the gentle contrast between soft light and dark day.

On a bright day we have the blessing of being up early enough to watch the sun rise, another attribute of this time of year. And in the evenings the tender pinks and mauves festoon the sky.

Today I'll be busy with cleaning and clearing. This helps me to prepare inwardly for the coming of the new. At the Winter Solstice I'll know that the daylight hours will begin to increase again, and that after the mysterious interval of three days, the Holy Night will be here.