Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Preparing for Christmas

'Trim the hearth and set the table.'

That's what I did for the first Sunday in Advent, when the family came to share and mark the afternoon and evening with us. Maybe you'll recognize the lines from the Christmas carol 'People look East'. Mainly, I focused on angels, stars, candles and images of the Annunciation, postcards of art masterpieces that I've collected over the years. I also brought out some crystals, because each week we'll focus on one of the four elements, and for this first one, it's 'earth'.



However, before I began to bring out the Christmas decorations, I cleared the decks. That is, I put away things like the family photographs, and other knickknacks. Not that we have many of those around the place, but still.

And I dusted.

These two activities are connected with making space for the spirit of Christmas. I learned this preparation from a wise daughter, one time when she came to stay and offered to decorate our house. Which she did most beautifully. I was extremely grateful.

My apologies, but the second photo might make you feel a little dizzy. But you could think of the angle from which it's taken as giving you more of an angel's view! And note the blue cloth, which brings an inward mood.



This is a wonderful stable, isn't it? I found it on a neighbour's garage sale. Over the next weeks we'll add some animals, and Mary and Joseph will journey closer and closer.

A blessed Advent to you all.