Monday, November 7, 2011

Cleaning scents

Over the weekend, my husband and I went to a workshop back in our old haunts. There I met a wonderful woman I hadn't seen for a few years. She has a certified daycare/kindergarten where she looks after over twenty children between the ages of 18 months and 5+ years. It's a challenge, especially as (as she told me), she's dealing with all the 'a's. She meant, ADD ADHA, asthma, autism and allergies.

It's the last 'a' that I want to talk about today.

Recently I read an article where the research spotlight focussed on what we use for cleaning in our homes. You'll probably be unsurprised to hear that strong scents are now considered harmful and likely to cause allergies. Therefore, we're exhorted to look into our supplies, discard those and replace with gentler products that have softer scents.

Years ago, my dear friend and spiritual mentor brought this to my attention. She simply showed me the product she was using, a soft pink paste. "Why do you use this?" I asked. Her simple answer? "Because it's not so strong."

At that time, we didn't have the abundance of choice available now. We are fortunate. Let's choose wisely and well for the health and well-being of our families.