Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Making magic

"Advent is my very favourite time of the year," says my dear friend and overnight guest. And, having stayed with her around this time, I know why.

She's lucky enough to live on a large piece of land. I've accompanied her into the wild to pick red dogwood branches to decorate outdoor urns and indoor spaces. In general, her home is redolent with all the best things about the run up to Christmas. It's a wonderful time for children, and I don't mean because Santa will soon be here with presents.

In England, this coming Sunday is traditionally known as 'Stir Up Sunday'. It's the day when Christmas cakes and puds need to be made... ahead of time, so the flavours can blend and mature.

I'm sure you know that small children love baking. It's surprising how much they can manage to 'help' and how much they gain from it. I remember when I taught the Blue-eyed boy how to crack and egg. After doing it and thinking about it, he turned to me so sweetly and said, 'I love you, Nana'.

Food for the soul, for sure.

(more on making magic in the next post)