Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The advantage of baths

A few years ago I first met my two step-granddaughters-to-be. We spent a weekend together in the Colorado Rockies. The younger must have been about five years old at the time. Early one morning she came to join me in the bedroom and we played a couple of games together... card or board, I can't remember which. Then I said to her, "That's it for now. I need to go and bath."
She stared at me with round eyes and exclaimed, "But you're much too big to bath!"

In her world, grown-ups always took showers.

When dealing with small children, baths can be used for various purposes other than simply getting clean. (Yes, this actually applies to all of us, at all ages.) As mentioned in my book 'Magical Motherhood' sliced lemons in the water can help at the time of the full moon to prevent a little lunacy. Lavender can soothe and relax before bed time. But there's also another factor we can make use of, and that's the actual temperature of the water.

This came to my mind because, last week, Curly Locks went down with German measles. We believe he caught it from when the whole family went swimming at a local public bath. He wasn't too sick, fortunately, although he did run a fever. Fever, as the medical profession increasingly knows and recognizes, can be strengthening for a child in body and soul, provided of course that it is managed in a responsible fashion and the little one takes in enough fluids.

Curly Locks's rash came out quickly and all over his body. Maybe that was why he didn't feel so bad. If the rash hadn't come out, a bath that was warmer than usual could have helped. And if he'd needed a bit more warmth in his blood, adding hotter water bit by bit could have raised his temperature a little. He's old enough now to scoot back in the bath when I add hot, and actually loves it when I swish the water around and make waves. If he'd been smaller I would have used a large pitcher to distribute the warmer water.

And of course, kids love to be in touch with this element.

A side note re adding hot water. Iced drinks are bad for the digestive system. An easy way to bring a milk bottle or cup of juice up to room temperature is to add a little boiling water.

I have a couple more directions to take from previous posts, so come back soon!