Monday, April 4, 2011

Changing demands on parents

What to write for a first (as opposed to introductory) blog post? Oupa has just arrived back from a stroll with the curly-headed grandson and says he could write a lot about diggers. Not me. In fact, when my oldest grandson asked me to tell him a story about combine harvesters, I had to confess Nana didn't know much about those. These days I'm asked for 'stories about trains'. Fortunately I have more experience in that direction, having travelled on regular, high-speeds, undergrounds and even steam trains, back in the day.

So, about the journey...

Looking back over our years of bringing up children, I realize the primary demands on parents change. When my babies were small, the physical needs were uppermost, as all tired moms and dads will agree. Because the state of our bodies impinges on our souls, this time is often emotionally draining too, although, hopefully, there's joy, tender cuddles and delight. :-) Nevertheless, I suggest parents' main task during these months and early years is to keep baby comfortable, safe, protected, well fed and with plenty of opportunity for sleep.

But things change as the months and years progress. More and more I found I needed to be tuned into my children's soul needs. Was she finding this book disturbing? Maybe he found an illustration scary (to give a very small example). Why didn't she want to go and visit this particular friend? Why not allow my little boy to wear red shoes, even if those were supposed to be for girls? Those kinds of things. It's truly a challenge and not always easy to pay attention and realize there's something going on that may or may not be verbalized.

As the child approaches adulthood, the demands are different again. You kind of have to step into the role of life coach, especially when it comes to such things as helping to make career choices and so on. For me, this meant having to grow on quite another level.

So to sum up, you start on the basic, physical level, go on during the 'golden' years of childhood and teenage time having to help your child on the soul level. Lastly, and even into adulthood, the demands are on the ego level... a kind of three-fold developmental challenge.

I was going to finish off by writing 'good luck', but then I thought, 'No, that would be inappropriate'. Do your best, and forgive yourself when you fail. Remember to think over what's happened as objectively as possible in order learn for the future.

See you next time.