Saturday, April 30, 2011

Sounds and Listening

Over the Easter weekend I had the privilege and joy of hearing Haydn, sung by a singer from Vienna. But more, we actually stayed with the same friend who was hosting her. She was reading a book by Dr. Alfred Tomatis and we had some very interesting conversations around the formation of the ear in uterus and how early this begins... actually, three weeks after conception or even earlier. By four months the ear is fully formed.

You can look up Dr. Tomatis on Wiki if you're interested. I'd say he was quite an amazing man.

So, what is your child listening to? Hopefully your voice and as few intrusive, electronic sounds as possible. Fortunately, in utero the metabolic sounds of your blood pumping and digestive processes are filtered out (good news, hey?). Oh, if only we could filter out those other, aforementioned electronic sounds. Of course, we know how easily it is for our hearing to be damaged by music that's too loudly amplified for e.g. at rock concerts.

All this came home to me as I watched the royal wedding yesterday. Yes, I woke at 5.30, and indulged in a couple of hours of viewing. It was wonderful, so full of pageantry and the service very moving. But I suffered a couple of pangs when I saw that little three-year-old bridesmaid cover her ears against the noise of the bells as she arrived outside Westminster Abbey, and later, when she was on the balcony at Buckingham Palace and the crowd roared.

Some children's hearing is over-sensitive. I don't know what you as a parent can do about this, but I understand there are therapies. Also, I believe the child gradually outgrows the problem. As always, it's good to be as aware as possible.

Don't forget to sing, to talk to your child and say the nursery rhymes!