Thursday, April 14, 2011

Some encouraging words

On Saturday night, the 2nd April, we had a wonderful gala evening, a celebration for the 150th anniversary of the birth of Rudolf Steiner. Music was part of the entertainment provided, and I noticed we heard three lullabies: two on the flute and one on the piano. Lovely they were, too. Yes, they were followed by livelier tunes, so we didn't fall asleep.

But they reminded me of how wondrous a thing is the human voice. It's one of the attributes that's unique to our species, a true gift from the gods. Sometimes, when Curly-locks is very tired, he can't quite get off to sleep. Then I provide a little help by singing to him, actually a very boring, repetitive tune with ditto words that came to me one day long ago when I was rocking baby grandson number two.

Cheryl is the same way I used to be: i.e. somewhat unsure of her voice. But she doesn't let that deter her (yay for you, Cheryl). I always love the story she tells about when the three of them went to spend a weekend at a cabin with friends. Blue-eyed baby couldn't sleep, and she didn't want his crying to disturb the other guests, especially as the wooden walls were not at all soundproof. She sang 'Edelweiss' to him, very quietly.

Next morning, one of the other women who had arrived very late, said how lovely that had been for her, and how it had helped her drift off.

As daughter Helen used to remind me when I'd apologize for having cooked a not-so-tasty meal or whatever, 'Small children are not critical'. And isn't that a marvellous thing? Especially as I suspect most of us adults are likely to be too self-critical. With small children you can go for it, knowing they won't hold any short-comings you perceive against you, but instead, will be appreciative and will benefit.