Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Birthday Cake to Nourish Body and Soul

My edit deadline is tomorrow, so I'm taking an easy route today and giving you a recipe.

Here's the cake I baked for Curly-Locks's birthday. Apologies for the blurry quality of the pic. No apologies for how the cake looks. Curly-Locks was thrilled. Small children are not critical, remember? Plus, they pick up the effort and love you put in.



It's all good, folks. And please note the beeswax candles. This is the third time we've used this particular lot. I made the wheels by taking an organic granny smith apple, cutting thin slices, then rubbing with a cut lemon so they didn't go brown. For a train rather than a car, use more wheels. I used pitless prunes for the headlights.

Here's the recipe. My ingredients were all organic, except for the icing sugar.

PENNY'S LEMON LOAF (Penny is my sister-in-law. She always has good and easy recipes.)

1/2 cup soft butter
1 1/2 cups flour (organic wholewheat works fine)
3/4 cup sugar (the cake is not very sweet, so don't use less)
2 rounded teaspoons baking soda
3 eggs
1/2 cup milk
2- 3 teaspoons grated lemon rind.

Combine all ingredients and mix to a smooth batter.

Bake in a loaf tin (I used 2, a smaller from Ikea and a larger), 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes. (adjust if you're making the 2)

Icing:
1 cup icing sugar
2-3 tablespoons lemon juice (I used a butter icing, as this is simply a glaze).