Tuesday, May 24, 2011

What forms and influences us?

Our environment, surely. So that means, the physical environment, the soul and the spiritual.

Today it's the physical environment that's on my mind, because it's moving day for the Blue-eyed Boy and Curly-Locks. Not many people are fortunate enough to grow up surrounded by one set of familiar four walls. As a side note, I was once told by a wonderfully insightful woman who works in personal development that she'd noticed a difference in the soul configurations of people who had grown up in larger versus smaller homes. Nothing positive or negative, simply different.

Transition times are always difficult. Small children generally do not do well with change. You don't want them to see or experience their home being dismantled because they might feel as if they're being pulled apart. What, I wondered, would be the best way to handle a house move for the little ones?

Soon after I began school, my parents bought a house fairly nearby so I could be in walking/biking distance. This meant, of course, that I was older and so could cope quite well with the breaking up of our old home and settling into the new. But my mom did a good thing, I think. She took me to school that morning (two bus rides were involved! In Johannesburg at that time there were no such things as school busses), and after school I went straight back to the new house. My room was already set up, with all my dolls, books and other treasures around me.

This made me feel fine. She was a wise and good woman, my mother.

Of course, a period of adjustment was still necessary. Every place has its own particular geophysical conditions which affect us in various ways. For the first seven years in particular, the energies in our environment form and influence us. Even today, when I pay a brief visit to Johannesburg, I feel as if I breathe in a different way. I feel strengthened and affirmed.