Monday, May 23, 2011

Overnight gleanings and a link for you.

The Blue-eyed boy and Curly-Locks spent the night last night. A couple of things came up for me. Both of them have to do with making children's experience of growing up a good one. This is another of the greater aims for this blog, as it is in my book 'Magical Motherhood'.

The boys arrived in their pjs, and I didn't have any clothes to dress them in. With this in mind, I wanted Curly-Locks to put on a bib when he ate his oatmeal so that he didn't drip on his top. He had the bib on for about ten seconds, then he reached back and pulled it off. He's done this before, but I never thought much about why he disliked wearing a bib. This a.m. the penny dropped. The velcro fastening was irritating the back of his neck. You know how itchy a stiff label can make you feel? That's what it was.

Cheryl arrived early for a chat and to take them home. She mentioned how Curly-Locks always sleeps sideways in his bed. Now, I'd checked on him a couple of times, but he was in the normal position. However, when he woke early and came to join me in mine, he scooted around to lie sideways. Again I wondered why. Then I realized the beds in our guest room are oriented north to south, whilst mine is east-west. And I remembered my dad saying north south was the way to go. Now, my father was anything but a flake. Not only that, he'd learned to sleep well in the roughest of conditions because he was 'up north' in the Second World War. That meant, a lot of the time, he was camped in the desert.

So here's the link I found when I googled. Scroll down and ignore most of the stuff about cows and sheep until you get to an anonymous post that begins 'The Hindu sages...' Interesting too is the earlier comment that REM sleep is increased with a n/s orientation.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread385292/pg1

Maybe I'll move our bed. The good thing is, my computer sits east/west.