Thursday, May 26, 2011

A Picture and a Poem

We have the family staying with us. One more night and they'll be in their new home. I thought I'd share this picture with you. It was given to the boys' dad by his godfather, who carved the beautiful frame, and it normally sits in the Blue-eyed boy's room. The original painting of this angel can be found in the National Gallery in London. Go see it if you get the chance.                                       

                                                               





When Curly-Locks was a little more than two years old, Miranda send me a notebook from Florence, Italy, with a cover that showed the 'Birth of Venus' by Botticelli. That's the one where the woman rises from the ocean, standing on a shell. Curly-Locks would pick it up, hold it between his dimpled fingers, and gaze intensely at the image. He still loves to do this.

In the last post I mentioned energies. Objects and images can give off energies, vibrations, call them what you will. Whether you believe this or not, wouldn't you say this is a gentler, more beautiful image for a child to absorb than the bright cartoons so ubiquitous in childrens' surroundings today?

This poem I wrote is called 'A Baby's Plea'

Spread wide your Madonna veil
Enfold me.
Protect me from the unnatural,
the piercing, startling sounds of
electronics and machines;
the cold, unfriendly feel
of polyesters and nylons.

 Provide me rather with the truth
of cotton, silk or wool.
Let me hear real, gentle voices
And see shimmering, rainbow colours

To remind me of that
heavenly bridge so I don't
too soon fall
and forget
my heavenly heritage,
the gifts bestowed and brought
by me to earth.

For my eyes and ears are unaccustomed,
my senses open wide to you
and the world.
So I have no defences
only my trust
in you
to defend me.