Thursday, May 12, 2011

It's cool to be warm

The Blue-eyed boy loves to play that 'hunt the thimble' game.

I've just returned from the dentist, so this could well prove to be a scrappy post. Let's hope I can keep it to that and not end up by losing the 's'.

It's just that clothing is on my mind. This is because I'm rediscovering my summer wardrobe. Yay! I'm also thinking about that old English adage 'Ne'er cast a clout till May be out'. Britain must have been a colder place when that originated than it is today. I've always thought the 'clout' mostly referred to wearing a vest (undershirt, for North Americans). As far as I can see, when it comes to kids, this is a garment that's vanished from the stores and closets.

Maybe that's still different in Germany. In my book I talk about the study that was done to discover why the British suffered from more ill-health in their latter years than did the Germans. The conclusion was that they weren't kept as warmly dressed when they were little.

In our time, children's clothing, like books, toys and all other merchandise catering for the early years, is geared towards appealing to the grown-up buyers, rather than focusing on what's best for the child's present and future health. There's lots more to be said about clothing, but today I'd simply like to caution you. When it comes to dressing your little one, it's better to err on the side of warmer rather than cooler. If your child feels even a tad chilly, this will cause both bodily and psychical stress, and these are exactly what we want to avoid.

And don't forget the hat!