Saturday, May 28, 2011

Birthday gifts that nourish the soul.

Tomorrow is the Blue-eyed boy's birthday, so I'm a little pressed for time. i.e. this'll be short. Really. And I guess this post applies more to older children rather than the under threes.

In any case, I'll be baking him a train cake. That will be a lemon loaf (yes, I have some organic lemons), made out of wholewheat flour and other healthy ingredients. Icing will have to be a given. But to cut down on the sugar overload, I'll make wheels out of orange slices, and use blueberries for other necessary knobs and such. Any suggestions for the chimney?

What to get him for a present was a problem, but I found something good in the floral department of our local store. It's a kind of gardening purse with outside pockets containing a small trowel, a fork and a hoe. Inside is a packet of pumpkin seeds, but I don't think that will work. So I'll replace that with sunflower seeds. One of our New Zealand grandsons received a packet as a party gift, and he was thrilled to watch the sunflowers grow and get taller than he.

For boys, in the past, I've bought such items as a small flashlight, and a measuring tape. Girls often love stationery. In general, my advice to you is to think outside the toy store.

Asta la vista!