Monday, June 13, 2011

Soul Shocks

As carers for small children, we stand as guardians to their souls. The younger the child the more vigilant we need to be. Although, having written that last sentence, I have to say this applies even and especially during the teenage years too. However, it's different during the first seven years because this is the time when children are building their bodies and what is experienced in the soul can affect future health and strength.

Above all, you should try to avoid soul shocks. The Blue-eyed Boy is extremely sensitive. I'll never forget the day I took him into a harmful environment. He must have been 18 months old or so. Cheryl had enrolled him in a 'music and movement' program. This sounded like fun and other children his age from their street would be there too. Fine.

Now, picture a gym. A cavernous space with glaring fluorescent overhead lights, garish colours. Nothing warm or soft in the environment. Not one thing.

The Blue-eyed Boy stepped inside and paused. I read his expression 'What have you brought me to, Nana? I trusted you but... ' It was just too overwhelming, and you can imagine how terrible I felt. I suppose I should have left right then, especially as the young woman running the course had no clue and there was nothing nourishing or helpful for the little kids in what she brought. In fact, she didn't appear again. But by then, of course, the damage was done.

Sometimes we do harm when we have the best of intentions. This is why it's important to check events and courses and places and so on and do as much research as you can before exposing your little one to a new situation.

And on another note, as a follow-up to my previous post, I have to confess my memory was playing tricks with me. What I was referring to re art was a guardian.co.uk video, which actually promotes a new 'art pass' that's being introduced into the U.K. As far as I can judge, the video has been taken off the site. Sorry!