Friday, June 10, 2011

A Taste for Healthy Food

 Writing about Curly-Locks not wanting to eat anything earlier this week reminded me of something. I was chatting with a retired teacher and grandmother recently and telling her that the Blue-eyed Boy and Curly-Locks have a good instinct for what they need to eat. Well, mostly. She commented how rare that is today, which got me thinking how we pollute our sense for taste. But it doesn't necessarily have to be so.

But this is why I'm sharing this link with you today. Also, because the ever-increasing incidence of diabetes and obesity has to be a concern. So take a look.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/jun/09/sugary-drinks-dull-tastebuds-study

Now, I believe in the benefits of eating organic foods, and best of all, bio-dynamic produce. I've observed that not all organic produce tastes as good as it should, but still, sometimes it's a matter of what you're not ingesting rather than what you are. And the smaller the child, the stricter you should be. However, never be fanatical. (!) I'm not in favour of cutting sugar out of a child's diet completely, unless there's ADD or some other soul or bodily reason. I doubt a little good jam, for instance, does much harm. And honey is a fine sweetener once the child is more than a year old. I'm glad I didn't know about the age restriction when my children were small! Ah well. Be well.