Friday, October 26, 2012

Down time

Grandfather and I are collecting the Blue-eyed boy from school everyday. This week the weather has been clement enough for us to walk him home, and that brings a wonderful grace. This is because it gives him some wind-down time. Zigzagging along, he crunches leaves under his feet, kicks at a few dandelion heads, climbs out of the swale to cross a driveway, jumps down the other side to land on his knees, and so on.

A truly valuable time. After long hours at school he has many experiences to absorb and release. Once at home he'll likely settle down to play and I'll hear him murmuring phrases other children had said, sometimes imitating behaviour by acting out. This is all healthy for the soul.

And we as adults need this kind of down time as well. We need the chance to reflect so that we don't get entirely swept up in the busyness of modern life.

When our four children were younger and we lived in Cape Town, I was fortunate enough to be able to take a few minutes round about 5 o'clock... a difficult time of the day when it comes to kids. I'd walk out the front door and along our dirt lane to look up at the mountains and the sky. I'd observe the clouds--in itself a helpful soul exercise. That tiny window would allow me to breathe, provided the strength for me to get back inside and cope with teenagers.

I hope you can find a few moments in your day to remove yourself from the hustle and bustle and renew your forces. Remember to allow your children that possibility too.