Tuesday, October 23, 2012

More on books

Curly-Locks wanted me to read to him and presented me with a smallish hard-covered book, 'The Magician's Garden'. The story was simple and the illustrations old-fashioned: charming watercolours, with no harsh outlines, which is the ideal. Why? Take a look outside your window. Isn't that actually how we perceive the world? We want to give our kids the truest picture possible.

When we'd finished reading I looked to see the publisher info. Ladybird Learning to Read (or words to that effect). Our son had found it in a charity store. Now, Ladybird put out modern books but I can really recommend keeping an eye open for the old ones. Yes, they can be used as a learning-to-read scheme, but I also used to 'read' the illustrations to the boys when they were smaller. They particularly liked 'On the Farm' for instance.

Now, as an author, I'd far prefer you to buy new books. But as Nana I strongly suggest you keep an eye open for older illustrated books. Chances are they'll be more true to life, less 'cartoonified' than the new ones.

As a side-note and to backtrack to the littlies, it seems to me that books for the youngest kids today are all about teaching: numbers, colours, shapes etc. Ask yourself, 'Do I need to put those concepts onto my baby as soon as possible?' I'd suggest not. Far better to show them illustrations that present a true picture (as I said already). That will help them get a feel for this new home they have on earth. Help them overcome the homesickness for heaven.