Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Tucking in

Three snippets on this subject:

At this time of changing seasons, it's easy for the children to get chilled. So an undershirt is a good idea. A teeshirt that's not too large can be a good substitute, provided it's tucked into pants. This makes a huge difference to how warm you feel, as I discovered yesterday for myself when I went on my bike ride.

Tucking a child into bed at night seems to be a fading trend, thanks to the preponderance (and convenience!) of duvets. But the trouble with duvets is that they easily slip to one side, or even off the bed. So it's good to check after your child has gone to sleep. You can tuck in around the feet, at the sides, or at the bottom of the bed.

Lastly, I'm thinking about tucking into food. The other day Curly-Locks came for lunch. We had one of those boxes of organic salad that consist of different small, soft lettuce leaves. I added our (always home-made) vinaigrette, but when Curly-Locks took a mouthful he said 'Yuck', and wouldn't eat any more. So I puzzled over this, because usually he loves our salad. Eventually I came to the conclusion that his repulsion had to do with texture rather than taste.

Which is not to say that small kids don't like 'soft'. But I do think that often, texture is the more important factor when it comes to their tucking in to food.