Thursday, October 4, 2012

Gratitude at Thanksgiving

It seems to me there's a dwindling of teaching children to say 'please' and 'thanks'. Particularly when it comes to the latter, I know how fine I feel when a child thanks me properly and with genuine gratitude. And yes, I think this is something that needs to be taught.

Gratitude as we know from different sources, can be a powerful force in our lives. In Canada, coming up right this weekend, we'll have Thanksgiving Day, which offers us the opportunity to count our blessings and be grateful. A simple grace before the meal is surely appropriate. Children will pick it up, if we grownups hold true thankfulness in our hearts.

The thing is, opening oneself to gratitude helps the soul become receptive so that benevolent spiritual beings can approach, and be there for us. In my experience, the spiritual world responds with such bounty when even the smallest effort of recognition is given.

So, dear readers, I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. See you on the other side!